The research activities of the Institute of Forming Technology and Lightweight Construction pursue three main objectives. The setting and improvement of component properties, the acquirement of physical understanding of forming processes, and a holistic view on efficiency are the aims of the five departments Profile and sheet metal forming, Bulk Metal Forming, Non-Conventional Processes, and Applied Mechanics in Forming Technologies as well as of the cross-departmental working group "Project Planning".
The main objectives are divided into the following research topics:
- Flexible manufacturing processes
- Hybrid components and hybrid processes
- Locally graded properties
- Extension of formability / forming limits
- Material characterization / modeling
- Research for education
- Sustainable production techniques (Recycling)
The project work is done in thematic teams within the departments as well as across departments depending on the required expertise.
2 chief engineers, 39 scientists, 14 technicians and administrative staff members, and approximately 50 student assistants ensured a sustainable success in 2014.